Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week 6 Reading Diary, Continued: Tibetan Folk Tales

The second half of the reading of the Tibetan Folk Tales by A.L. Shelton, keeps with the animal and magic theme. The first story How the Rabbit Killed the Lion stood out to me because I keep seeing a theme of the “king of the animals” the lion being so easily tricked. In this story, the lion ends up attacking his own reflection thinking it’s a demon and jumping into the river to his death. I liked The Golden Squash because it shows that people who are truly genuine with their actions will be rewarded for their good deeds, which is what I believe to be true! I think it might be interesting to tell the story from a birds perspective since they were the ones targeted in the story. The Man with Five Friends with Different Colored Eyes was one of my favorites to read because it was so different! I don’t understand why the son went against the stipulations that his father had told him to follow… if I were him I wouldn’t want to risk it! I could write my storytelling in the father’s voice explaining and telling his son a story about why it’s important to follow these instructions to be happy. I liked The Two Little Cats because it was so creative how even the inanimate objects had voices and helped the animal’s band together to defeat the Handre. I also liked the vivid description of the Handre at the beginning of the story. It gave me a clear picture of what the creature would look like. Finally, The Man and the Monkey’s had a great description of the Garden of Eden… it seemed so peaceful! I also noticed that this story like most of the others have lessons about being grateful and remembering those who helped you. I could possibly link a few stories together that keep with this theme!
(Illustration of The Man and the Monkey's
by Mildred Bryant. Source: UnTextbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment