Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary: Jewish Fairy Tales


I chose to read the Jewish Fairy Tales unit by Gertrude Landa. I really liked how the stories came from the bible but they had the fairy tale twist to them to keep the reader intrigued. It was really creative how a lot of the stories served as explanation as to why things are the way they are today. For example in the story The Quarrel of the Cat and Dog explained why dogs and cats don’t get along today. One of my favorite stories in the unit was The Giant of the Flood, because for as long as I can remember Noah’s ark was one of my favorite stories in the bible. I thought the explanation for why people act so silly when they drink wine was really funny and liked that unicorns were also apart of the story. I want to base my storytelling assignment based on this reading. Maybe I can tell the story through one of the animals’ points of view! There were also a few wow moments while I was reading. I wasn’t expecting the deer King Hagag was chasing to become a human/genie character. I may use this as my storytelling assignment and have it told through the eyes of the genie not wanting to give the King his thrown back. I also was surprised when David, in the story From Shepherd-Boy to King, finally realizes that he’s actually on top of a unicorn instead of a mountain!
(Illustration of Og the Giant 
Source: UnTextbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment