Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Week 14 Reading Diary, continued: LibriVox

The second half of the reading from the Grimm (Librivox) unit by the Brothers Grimm connected nicely to the first half. I enjoyed reading The Queen Bee because it had a happy ending! It also emphasized the importance of helping others. It was nice to see that since he had saved the lives of the other animals they came to help him when he was in need! I could use this in my storytelling by changing the animals into humans and creating a story using the same back story. I liked the youngest character because he had a very modest approach to everything he seemed very humble. Jorinda and Jorindel was an interesting story. I was shocked to hear that the fairy had captured seven hundred different girls! I couldn't help but wonder why she kept the pretty girls and turned them into birds and why she let the men go? I wonder if she was jealous of the girls' beauty? I could use this in my story telling assignment to tell the back story of why the fairy acted this way. I like that this kept with the theme of ending happily like the rest of the stories. I enjoyed reading The Turnip because it was a little different from the other stories. I liked that the gardener brother ended up getting a greater reward and becoming richer than his wealthy brother. I also had a funny mental image of a giant turnip being handed to the rich brother in return for his grand gift. I wondered why he felt the need to trick the student into letting him down from the tree... why couldn't he have just asked for his help?
(Turnip Illustration by Otto Ubbelohde
Source: UnTextbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment