Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary, continued: Italian Popular Tales

I enjoyed reading the second half of the Italian Popular Tales unit by, Thomas Frederick Crane. The Language of the Animals was very similar to one of the stories from the first half of the unit. For example the king was disappointed in his son claiming he could speak to animals so he asked for him to be killed. Instead of killing him they killed a dog instead and brought back it's heart instead! I could maybe combine these two stories somehow based on their similarity! I liked that the son ended up using his ability to speak to animals to help others and then in the end he became the Pope and showed everyone that what he learned was valuable! The Cat and Mouse story was very strange... I didn't understand how the cat had decided to marry the mouse just by the sound he made when he sang. I was shocked to see that the cat had accidentally cooked the mouse in the food, but I didn't understand the series of events that took place after that happened. I enjoyed reading the story Buchettino because it kept my attention the entire time! I liked that this story had an ogre included in it which was different than the other stories I had read. The image of Buchettino stacking tons of plates and pans on top of each other to climb up to the roof made me laugh! I would like to use this story in my assignment this week I just haven't thought of a creative way to change it yet!
(Cat and Mouse. Source: Geograph)

No comments:

Post a Comment