Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Week 14 Reading Diary: Librivox

This week I chose to read the Grimm (Librivox) unit by the Brothers Grimm for my reading diary posts. The Frog Prince is a classic story that I remember hearing as a child. I liked that the king made the princess stick to her promise when he could have easily allowed her to go back on her word. This story reminded me of Beauty and the Beast because it had the same theme that looks can be deceiving. The princesses in both stories had no idea that the unsightly creature they were stuck with was a prince but they keep their word and stay with them any way and are rewarded! I liked the story of The Traveling Musicians because it's all about how we interpret things! The robbers didn't take the time to look at who was after them so they immediately thought it was a witch instead of animals. I thought it was sad at the beginning how all the animals are talking about how their owners no longer want them because they're old... it makes me think of how our society sometimes treats the elderly. I could change this story up a little and have the animals be human characters instead and twist the plot around as well! I enjoyed reading the story Briar Rose because I didn't expect it to be Sleeping Beauty! The authors did a great job at describing the fairies and the scenes during the story so I was able to create a very vivid picture of what was going on! I never knew the backstory to Sleeping Beauty so it was cool to read about the 12 fairies invited to the dinner in honor of the princess and the thirteenth fairy showing up in anger because she wasn't invited! I didn't ever fully understand why Sleeping Beauty had been under a curse in the first place when I was a kid.
(Sleeping Beauty Illustration 
Source: UnTextbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment